Shopify Theme from Scratch
Shopify Theme from Scratch – learn how to make your very own Shopify theme!
Over the next few weeks I’m going to be releasing a series of tutorials on how to make a Shopify theme from scratch. I will be walking you through how to make a super-basic theme to give you a basic understanding of how Shopify themes and Liquid work.
You can take a look at the demo of the basic theme here.
I will be updating the Table of Contents below as the new parts are released, so feel free to bookmark this page :). My goal is to finish one part every week.
- Some understanding of HTML/CSS – although I’ll be doing my best to keep everything as basic as possible.
- A Shopify store that you can upload a theme to. More info on this in the next step.
- A steady internet connection.
Table of Contents
- The Setup
- Part 1: theme.liquid
- Part 2: index.liquid
- Part 3: collection.liquid
- Part 4: page.liquid and 404.liquid
- Part 5: product.liquid
- Part 6: cart.liquid
- Part 7: blog.liquid
- Part 8: article.liquid
- Part 9: search.liquid
- Part 10: list-collections.liquid
- Part 11: Customer Accounts – The Setup
- Part 12: Customer Accounts 1/2
- Part 13: Customer Accounts 2/2
- Part 14: Theme Settings 1/2
- Part 15: Theme Settings 2/2
Should you have any comments or questions about this series, please feel free to leave a comment below!
UPDATE: I’ve closed the comments for this tutorial series now, as I won’t be able to get back to questions here. A lot has changed with Shopify theme development since I wrote this series – I recommend checking out official Shopify documentation for more up-to-date guides :)