Shopify Theme from Scratch
IMPORTANT: I am currently working on improving this tutorial series and moving it to the official Shopify documentation. Updates will no longer be made on the tutorials here.
Over the next few weeks I’m going to be releasing a series of tutorials on how to make a Shopify theme from scratch. I will be walking you through how to make a super-basic theme to give you a basic understanding of how Shopify themes and Liquid work.
You can take a look at the demo of the basic theme here.
I will be updating the Table of Contents below as the new parts are released, so feel free to bookmark this page :). My goal is to finish one part every week.
- Some understanding of HTML/CSS – although I’ll be doing my best to keep everything as basic as possible.
- A Shopify store that you can upload a theme to. More info on this in the next step.
- A steady internet connection.
Table of Contents
- The Setup
- Part 1: theme.liquid
- Part 2: index.liquid
- Part 3: collection.liquid
- Part 4: page.liquid and 404.liquid
- Part 5: product.liquid
- Part 6: cart.liquid
- Part 7: blog.liquid
- Part 8: article.liquid
- Part 9: search.liquid
- Part 10: list-collections.liquid
- Part 11: Customer Accounts – The Setup
- Part 12: Customer Accounts 1/2
- Part 13: Customer Accounts 2/2
- Part 14: Theme Settings 1/2
- Part 15: Theme Settings 2/2
Should you have any comments or questions about this series, please feel free to leave a comment below!